Wednesday 26 November 2014

New Ving Tsun Lineage/Method Announcement

As many of you know since 2008/9 I have been operating the club independently for the main reasons to allow us freedom to invite other Wing Chun/Ving Tsun coaches to our club so we could see and experience and train other approaches to the teaching and practice of our chosen martial art.
In doing so we have almost totally transformed and better understood our views, practice and how the real concepts of Wing Chun can be applied and for my part taught..due to various members who are connected to the Wong Shun Leung lineage in some way (as you can read about in my previous posts if you haven't experienced first hand within our club sessions)

As of this week I have made initial contact with Philipp Bayer (a direct student of the late Wong Shun Leung and the chief Ving Tsun Coach for the "Ving Tsun Kung Fu Association Europe") who has advised me to contact his main UK representative Desmond Spencer who has been involved in Ving Tsun since 1976 via Victor Kan and Clive Potter until he visited Philipp and never looked back in 1997/8.




On Sunday 23rd November I spoke with Desmond for well over an hour while he explained the key differences in their thinking and training approach as well as questioning me constantly to try and see how my current thinking was and in doing so briefly explained the purpose within their method of the entire system as well as how each area connects.

At that point without yet even meeting him I made up my mind that this is where I can see myself developing my VT from where it is now for the benefit of both myself and my students.

I also have had contact with Philipp's other UK representative Graham Handbury who has also been extremely helpful with the start of my new thinking process and has answered many queries already and I aim to also get up to Stroud in Gloucestershire to train with Graham and his students some time next year as well as the strong possibility of travelling for a short trip to Germany to learn directly under Philipp Bayer.

I am of course fully aware that at this exact point in time this is only words and it cannot be set in stone until I physically put the wheels in motion although I do intend to make my first training visit to Desmond either before Christmas or early 2015 latest and following that in the future he has agreed that he could visit our club at times on a Sunday to help us with the transition to this method also.

So far, what I am most impressed with and fired up about is that this group has already been so open and lacking in the usual BS and only really concerned with how they approach their Ving Tsun for self development and developing each other, no real hierarchy or ego (as many of the WSLVT representatives have been also when approached to be fair)

Desmond and Graham are by all accounts very knowledgeable and skilful and keep a low profile generally, only teaching a selective group with the same mindset and goals.

I truly look forward to very soon being a part of the WSLPBVT family....but the first step is for myself and students to work hard to improve our thinking, understanding and skills.

Philipp's own advice to me was "Look forward...train with Desmond and Graham and with your right thinking you will use the system and no more the system using you!"

http://youtu.be/-LkBrtizNgA

Any questions please feel free to email/call me or address these in class in person.

Paul

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Paul, so did you ever met one of first two guys, or Philipp?

    ReplyDelete